Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vanity

For a long time my "vanity area" was a dark piece of antique furniture owned by my landlord. It was a beautiful piece of furniture but I wanted something lighter and more modern. It was too dark which made it look like it took up way more room than it did. After seeing a similar table to this:

in a Jonathan Adler book, I decided this is what I wanted. The closest thing I could find at a local antique store for 65 dollars was this:
The table in the book looked like white acrylic, not wood, but since I didn't have the resources or magic to turn this wooden table to acrylic, I decided to paint it in a high gloss white paint.  High gloss paint is REALLY hard to paint with so make sure to paint in a cool area, the more humid, the "stickier" the paint becomes.  The table from the book also had little round circles on the front of the table.  I decided to just use a wooden dowel about this size:


and my dad cut thin pieces from the dowel, I painted them and we glued them on with wood glue.  I had step by step pictures but they are on an old phone somewhere. Hopefully my instructions were clear. Here's the finished product:


I used the mirror from the antique vanity
 
 

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love that table! The little circles add the perfect detail

    ReplyDelete